Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

green diy silver cleaner

How many of you have a Silver Set that looks like this?

026

First I will say I love Silver Service Sets and I have several in boxes still that someday my “mansion” will have enough places for them to show.  This particular one came from The Deacon and Pops.  It was given to them over 40 years ago as a Wedding Gift from a dear family friend.  I received it a few years ago at Christmas and have loved it every since.  I particularly love the little pineapple on the top. 

 

Well it sits out and tarnishes and I hate, let me repeat… I HATE to polish silver.  I am not sure if it came from helping my Grandmother’s and my Mother polish theirs as a child but I LOATHE it!  That being abundantly clear now I noticed it needed a little attention.  I set out on Pinterest to find a “greener” way to polish the old silver.  Pinterest of course had the answer, I swear it is like the Helpful Heloise of the New Millennium.  Here is goes, you won’t believe how easy it is. 

Cast of Players:

028

Dirty Silver

Baking Soda

Foil

Salt

Boiling Water

 

Line your sink or shallow wash basin with foil.

 

024

 

Next add silver.  Pour 1/2 C Baking Soda and 1/2 C Salt over top.

 

027

 

Last pour boiling water over top to submerge.  Wait 2 minutes, Rinse and dry with Clean Dish Towel and Ouila’!

 

029

 

My camera doesn’t do it justice.  It really is shiny and sparkly.  Took me all of 10 minutes.  Wow!  If I would have only new that in 1977.

No comments:

Post a Comment