- Go to www.wholefoods.com and print their sales fly er. Plan your menu for the week based off of that.
- This leads me to on of the most important things a family can do in these hard times, PLAN A MENU and stick to it. It makes your grocery list so much easier.
- Use their printable coupons, again available on their website. Be careful though, just because a label has a coupon it still doesn't mean it is the best value
- Buy the 365 label brand. Great value and we find it to be just as good.
- Buy fruits and vegetables that are in season.
- Stick to the outer perimeter of the store.
- Buy in bulk. I found this true on buying flour and dried beans this week. Even though the packaged items were on sale it was still cheaper to buy in bulk.
I found I still spent more money than I had but I think that was due to the initial bulk buying. We will be charting and seeing how it goes. I had been spending $120 a week and we still ate out about 2 times a week, which for a family of 4 is an easy $25 per meal. I spent $160 and we didn't eat out all weekend and I figure with that alone I am ahead by $5. Please note that I didn't just throw all the food that I already had in the pantry and freezer out. We are replacing the items as we use them. If you have any additional tips please share!
I also made the decision to get back to baking our own bread. Have you read the label on a simple loaf of bread from the mainstream store? Crazy! For about $1.50 I just pulled out a beautiful loaf of sandwich bread. I used my bread machine to do the kneading and rising and then put it in a buttered loaf pan, let it rise for another 30 minutes. I baked it for 40 minutes and my house smells like a bit of heaven right now.
In the next couple weeks our Farmer's Markets will be open again. This is a great way to buy locally and save money too.
I am making Black Bean and Spinach Enchilada Casserole tonight and I started soaking my black beans this morning and this meal will make great lunches for Mr. Miller and I all week.
Eat your leftovers! Don't let any go to waste. Yes, I think I have found my way again. I am hoping to see a difference in Cameron too.