We have had a very exciting and busy weekend around here. I had my big STM for All fundraiser Saturday night and it was amazing. My Dad has been in town from Austin and was able to help us Saturday. Sunday I finally got around to making a menu for the week. I knew Saturday and Sunday evenings would be up in the air.
My big question for the week to my fellow Mamas on Facebook was "how do I feed a family of 4 for under $100 and still eat an organic and "whole food" diet?". I got some great responses from the Kansas City Cloth Community, Happybottomus Parents and Kansas City Garden Community. The unanimous response was first trying to grow and preserve as much as we can on our own. Secondly, the local Farmer's Markets which around here are just starting to open up. Last was actually shopping at Costco. I was a little surprised but truly believe now that I could do that at Costco. I saved over $20 for this week. No processed foods, all natural and pretty organically. Plus I won't have to buy some of these items again for a few weeks. There were other items I wanted but had reached my magic dollar amount, yes I was the geek with the calculator going up and down the aisle, so I thought "I don't need that" and I could use it next week. I shopped for $98.79. We will be making our own baked goods, eating a lot of veggies and beans and my favorite of oatmeal with a little coconut milk on top. Mimi still brings me my farm fresh eggs every week from one of her clients. My boys love beans and rice, so Patrick, Henry and I will be eating that for some lunches too. Cameron loves his PB&J so that is on the menu too.
I am really excited to share secrets as they come along. Please do the same if you have ideas to share. So here it goes.
Saturday - Pizza with Grampie
Sunday - We hit Dos de Oros carryout thanks to Grampie. He likes it as much as we do when he is in town.
Monday - Mac n Cheese, Broccoli, Apple Sauce
Tuesday - California Cheesy Vegetable Soup, fresh bread. (We ended up not using this last week due to leftovers)
Wednesday - Roasted Chicken, Yukon Gold Potatoes, Green Beans
Thursday - Asian Chicken Pasta with Broccoli
Friday - Tilapia with Black Beans and Rice
mac n cheese
- 1/2 lb macaroni of choice
- 1 1/2 c chopped broccoli and carrots
- 1 c whole milk
- 3 c shredded sharp raw milk cheese (or your favorite)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Bring pot of water to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium and add macaroni and vegetables. Simmer until macaroni is al dente and vegetables are tender but not mushy. Around 8 min. Drain and return to pot
- Heat milk in a separate saucepan over low heat. Add your milk and cheese to the pot of macaroni, mix to combine. Season with your salt and pepper.
- Pour macaroni into an 8 inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese over top. Bake until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Allow to set before serving.
Don't forget to check in at Stone Gable and find some yummy dinner ideas.