Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Monday, November 9, 2009

Giving Thanks

We have been talking a lot about what Thanksgiving means here at Green Acres. Cameron, being a typical 6 year old, seeing all of the Holiday Decor around town that is popping up of course is talking about "I want". I know you all have been there. I have been reminding him that Thanksgiving comes first and that we need to be thankful for all of the blessings in our life. These blessings include our toys and other material items, but also the love in our family, our home and food in our tummies. It was time this last weekend for Project Warmth KC. It is a great opportunity to give back to the community and help those in need. They have a website, www.projectwarmthkc.com for more information. They had area drop off sites for gently used coats and blankets. We explained to Cameron what is means to be homeless and not have a coat and that if we looked in our closets and blanket chest I was sure we could find items that we aren't using but that others could. We loaded up the Jetta and went to the drop off.

This was the trailer at Ward Parkway Center.

Cameron helping Daddy load the bag they gave us.

I think it is a good thing to remind our little ones that blessings are abundant in our lives and that not everyone is as lucky we are. Check within your communities I bet they have something very similar.

2 comments:

  1. I am finding this time of year to be so difficult as well. The material aspect of the holidays is always something that has bothered me, but with children, it is hard to know how to get around it.

    This was a great post for me, because it reminded me that there is so much that we do and show, with out having to talk or lecture, to help our kids understand gratitude for all that they have, and to lend a small hand to helping those in need.

    By the way, did I read that it is your birthday today? If so, have an amazing day :)

    ReplyDelete