Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer Pie

A couple of weeks ago my friend Natalie had posted that she had all of this Zucchini, what was she going to do with it? She asked for recipes. I had just gotten our first delivery from Fresh Connect KC and what do you know, there was Zucchini enclosed. I sat and thought what can I do with these beautiful organic vegetables. I also had Tomatoes and Onions, some of Mr. Millers favorites. Well after about and hour of thought based on what I had on hand this is what I came up with.

Summer Pie
1 med Zucchini, thinly sliced
1 med Onion
1 med Tomato
1/4 C Corn Starch
Fresh Ground Pepper
1/4 C grated Parmesan Cheese
1 C shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 tsp Dill
1 clove Garlic, pressed
1/2 C Mayonnaise
1/2 Plain Yogurt or Sour Cream
I first spray my pie plate with non stick spray and preheat oven to 350. Next slice Zucchini, I use a mandolin, I love this tool nothing slices your veggies so even and thin. Toss your Zucchini in the Corn Starch, again to keep it GF for us you could use flour, and lay them in an even layer in bottom of pie plate. Slice Onion, lay on top of Zucchini, and next Tomato. Place Tomato over Onion. Top the Tomato with Fresh Ground Pepper and Parmesan Cheese. In a separate bowl mix your Mayonnaise, Yogurt, Garlic, Dill and Cheddar Cheese. Using a rubber spatula place wet ingredients in a thin layer over top. Bake for 40-45 min or until golden and bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool to set up for about 15min before serving.
This is way yummy! I have served with both Chicken and just a large Garden Salad. It makes the perfect summer meal and a great way to use up all of that extra Zucchini.
Natalie this ones for you I hope it gives you another idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment