Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

how did i do it?

This weekend I decided to challenge myself.  The challenge was to see how cheaply I could feed my family of 4.  I gave myself a $60 budget for the weeks groceries.  Crazy, you say?  Maybe? Possibly?  Could it be done?  Yep, I did it!

I planned my menu.

Monday ~ Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

Tuesday ~ Taco Tuesday

Wednesday ~ Black Beans and Rice
                       Kielbasa and Tilapia
                       Salad

Thursday ~ Spaghetti Rice
                   Broccoli

Friday ~ Terriyaki Chicken with Rice  (Recipe found in my Easy 30 day Gluten Free diet)
               Green Beans

Saturday ~ Black Bean Soup (Recipe found in my Make it Fast, Make it Slow book)
                  Frito's, Avocado, Sour Cream

Sunday ~ Chicken and Rice
                Green Beans

Not a bad menu and all Gluten Free.  I shopped at Hy-Vee and I spent $56.49, yep under $60 and I only used 2 coupons.

The trick is to see what you have on hand when planning your menu.  Look in that Freezer, dig in your pantry. 

I had the ground beef and a roasting chicken in the freezer from the last "big meat sale".  The chicken itself will cover 2 meals this week and give me another casserole next week.  Black beans, hello buy in bulk and soak yourself.  You save so much money that way.  I also take the Cecelia's Gluten Free Market Guide with me to the store.  You would be surprised at how many off label store brands, especially Hy-Vee, are actually gluten free.

Oh yes I did buy for lunches and breakfast too.  Buy your yogurt in the large container.  Make your own muffins, pancakes or eggs for breakfast.  PB&J is a staple in Cam's lunch and Henry, Mr. Miller and I will usually clean up leftovers from the night before.  This can be done and it is not hard.

Watch for your sales on meat and use that freezer.  When you make your soups freeze some of it for a night down the road.  Good luck and I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment