Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Monday, January 30, 2012

what's cookin?

I thought I would get back to my series here at Green Acres, "What's Cookin'?".

I am really having to tighten the belt per say since I lost my part time gig.  We are going to get through this spell, we always do.  I am trying to see each week how "cheaply" I can get by feeding my family.  Still being gluten free and organic as possible.  Trying not to buy as little pre made items as I can.

I plan on sharing one recipe a week with you that I am using.

Here is this weeks menu plan:


 Sunday               Monday

Black bean soup             Chicken and Rice

fritos                                Salad



Tuesday               Wednesday

Lasagna               Broccoli Cheese Soup

Green Beans        Cheddar Biscuits

                              Salad

Thursday              Friday   

Lasagna                Nachos

Green Beans                 



             Saturday  

            Fish and Chips

            Corn



We had a few change ups in last weeks menu so I was able to carry over a few meals and ingredients.  Mr. Miller will be at a dinner meeting Tuesday night so I will still make the Lasagne and we will have the leftovers on Thursday.

This weeks recipe is for the Broccoli Cheese Soup.


5 tbsp butter, divided
1/2 med onion, chopped
1/4c flour or for us 1/4 c sweet rice flour
2 C half and half
2 C chicken broth
1 head broccoli, medium and chopped
2 carrots, shredded
2 C sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tbsp Worcestershire
Salt and Pepper to taste.

In a large pot, melt 1 tbsp of your butter over medium to low heat. Add chopped onions, cook until translucent not brown.  Put onions aside in seperate bowl.  Add remaining butter to pot and melt.  Whisk in the flour a little at a time.  You want to whisk mixture for about 3 minutes.  Slowly add the half and half, keep whisking so it stays creamy.  Add the chicken stock.  Whisk and let simmer over low for about 20 minutes.  Make sure it doesn't boil or stick to bottom of pan.  Next add your broccoli, carrots and the reserved onions.  Give a quick stir and let it simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes.  Once the veggies are tender, add your shredded cheese.  (1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition.)  Stir in the nutmeg and Worcestershire sauce.  Salt and pepper to taste.

 

I am hoping this gives some ideas for families that are in the same boat as us.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment