Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

are you using all your leftovers?

Disclaimer:  I am going to get on my soapbox for a minute now.

I was listening to the news this morning and something really caught my attention, 1 in 7 families is on Food Stamps right now in the United States.  I was shocked.  It has gotten so bad that families can't afford to feed themselves.

 I know its hard. We struggle each week.  I have dear friends that receive assistance right now, and they are very hard working and it was a hard decision to make but they needed to do it to survive.  When is it going to stop? 

I know that we are making a conscious effort here to make use off every last scrap.  Sometimes its hard but we have to.  Let's face it money is tight.  Food and Fuel prices are on the rise and it makes it just plain hard for the average family to feed themselves let alone buy healthy options.  We plant a garden each year and some years have been better than others but we do it and we eat from that garden.  I am looking forward to a few "canning parties" with my girlfriends this summer.  I also buy from the local Farmer's Markets.  I like supporting local vendors and plus the produce is so fresh.

I am continuing to plan, preserve and pray for my families needs and the needs of others.  It has to get better, doesn't it?

OK I will get off my tangent....

My original intent today was to talk about leftovers.  So here it goes.  Last week I made Crockpot Beef Stroganoff.  Super simple and tasty.

Beef Stroganoff

2 lbs ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, mined
1 C fresh mushrooms, diced
1 1/2 C sour cream
4 TBSP flour, I use rice flour
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 C beef broth
3 TBSP tomato paste

1.  In a skillet, brown beef, onions, garlic and mushrooms.  Drain and add to slow cooker.
2.  Combine sour cream and flour.  Add to beef mixture.  Stir in remaining ingredients.
3.  Cover. Cook on low for 6 hours.
4.  Serve over hot buttered noodles.  I used corn noodles.

This is a great recipe and the boys love it.  I finely mince the mushrooms and they don't even know that they are in there. 

Here is how this became our lunch on Sunday.  I still had the better part of a box of beef broth in the fridge.  I simply added it to the Stroganoff and it became beef and noodles.  Mr. Miller loves beef and noodles over Mashed Potatoes so that is what we had it over.  Henry doesn't care for mashed potatoes so he ate his like soup and had 2 bowls at that.  We even had a little left over that Mr. Miller finished in his lunch yesterday.

Great way to use up what is in the fridge.  Get creative, you might surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment