Just before the rain rolled in this morning I walked through one of my happy places, the Green Acres Garden. The place where we have for the past 4 summers toiled, planted, picked pesky bugs, slapped mosquitoes and for me, ruined many a manicure. I love this little patch of heaven.
From our Inaugural Garden in 2009 to today.
Oh, how I love our Garden so. This morning to my delight we found lots of Bell Peppers, jalapeno peppers and finally my tomatoes are coming around. We have had a crazy tomato year. Lots of vine, not many fruit and the fruit that was showing up was a salad bar for our new puppy and the tree rats.
So the question was raised ~ what to make today? It looks like Tuna Pasta Salad, Jambalaya for dinner and possibly going to make a batch of pickled jalapenos for my Mr. Miller.
- The Cast of Characters
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 1 can black beans*
- 4 peppers – any color you want, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large can of organic diced tomatoes (leave the juice) or 2 small cans
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 lb. large shrimp, raw and de-veined
- 1 pkg kielbasa or Andouille sausage
- 2 c. okra (optional)
- 3 tbsp. Cajun Seasoning or a little less if you want
- 1/4 c. Frank’s Red Hot (or hot sauce of your choice)
- Put the Peppers, Tomatoes, onions, Frank’s, Broth,black beans, garlic, bay leaves and Cajun seasoning in crockpot. Set on low for 6 hours.
- About 30 minutes till end of time add cut up sausage and shrimp. Remember to take tails off and devein.
- While shrimp and sausage are cooking make up some rice or crazy some quinoa to change it up a bit.
- Serve over rice.
- Your mouth, tummy and family will thank you.