Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

morning glory muffins

When Mimi and I lived in Michigan we fell in love with these muffins. They had carrots, apples and raisins. They were a bran muffin so that made them amazingly moist. I have a strong love for carrot cake and these are so similar to them. In fact if you wanted to be so decadent you could put some cream cheese icing on them and think you are having a real treat, but this morning Henry and I had one heated, split and fresh butter on top.


Since I can't have gluten the bran part is out. Here is what I have come up with and they are amazing.


morning glory muffins


1 1/2 cups gf oats

1 egg

1 c gf all purpose flour mix, I use Pamela's baking mix

1/2 c milk

3 tsp baking powder

1/4 c honey

1/4 c olive oil

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1 cup finely shredded carrots

1/2 c raisins

1/2 c chopped apple


Combine oats, flour, baking powder, salt and spices in large bowl. Stir well to combine. Beat egg in small bowl and add to large bowl. Add milk, honey and oil. Mix well. Fold in fruit and mix thoroughly.


Preheat oven to 400. Fill paper lined or lightly greased muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Makes 12.


These are great. We made a dozen yesterday and we only have 4 left today. They don't sit around long. Be sure to store in air tight container in fridge.

2 comments:

  1. I've had something like this before and they were delicious. How great that you made them GF. I've been experimenting with raw breads and now you've inspired me to try to incorporate some of these tastes in what I am doing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrot muffins! This morning I was just thinking that a new muffin recipe was needed around here and I think I just found it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete