Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

living simply

When I started this blog almost a year ago this month I wanted to chronicle our lives and we made certain changes to “live simply and more sustainable”.  It has been quite and adventure.  Last year when we started the  Inaugural Garden we really had no clue as to what we were really getting into.  I bought plants and seed both to start.  This year we decided to start by seed and so far so good. 

Here are my tomato plants.

DSCN0536

My radishes have been literally jumping from their beds of soil.  Their bright red skin is such a vibrant hello from the dark moist soil that they reside in.

DSCN0533 

We have been enjoying the radish almost every evening.  Sometimes just by themselves, tossed in a green salad or combined with carrots, olive oil and some parmesan cheese.

I would love someday to have enough from the garden for us to be sustainable through the winter months.  My Dad recently told me that “We are in a time to be conservative, use what you have and look around you and be resourceful.”  Wise words from a wise man.  Yes, Dad I just paid you a compliment!  I would love to have enough to share and help others.  Maybe this is the year?  The church  that we have been visiting, plants a garden every year to help feed the hungry.  I am hoping this year that if we have a plentiful harvest that we can share the benefits of our bounty.

~ Your people settled in it, and from your bounty, O God, you provided for the poor.   Psalm 68:10

3 comments:

  1. I love this gardening business. I always start out with so much ambition, but somehow along the way my garden takes over. It's so nice to hear your intentions and that you're going to share your progress. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gardening. we're getting better & better. it's taken time to build it up, years! but, we learn EVERY year. i like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardening is so addictive and such a reciprocal loop of giving - I bet by next year you're harvesting enough to put up.

    ReplyDelete