Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Baked Spaghetti Casserole

A couple of years ago Mr. Miller and I took the Six Week Body Makeover challenge. It was very successful and easy to follow. Yes, I know now it has to be a lifestyle and not a "diet". (oh how I hate the word diet!) It also led me to the conclusion about my body and wheat. We have decided again to incorporate some of the rules into our lives again. I still had all the paper work, books, etc. I am really excited to feel good and get the "junk" out of our diet again.

I decided today to post a favorite recipe of ours from those days. Great source of vegetables and it happens to be GF!

baked spaghetti casserole
1 lb ground turkey or bison
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano (optional)
1-1/2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash salt-free Garlic & Herbs seasoning
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
3 small cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 medium-large zucchini, skin peeled off and discarded
Brown the first seven ingredients in a non-stick skillet. Add mushrooms, tomato sauce and water. Stir well. Simmer on low for about five minutes. Use a vegetable peeler or potato peeler to make thin strips out of the zucchini (discard seeds). These will resemble pasta. Add the zucchini strips to the meat sauce and transfer everything into a casserole baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
We don't even miss the cheese in this recipe. I did find Rice Cheese, which in moderation is OK. On this plan we cut out non complex carbohydrates and dairy. Which I can do, after all wheat is bad for me and the dairy well with rice milk products I can get a little here and there. Enjoy, its a great dinner and before long these veggies will be available in your own garden. How friendly to the wallet is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment