Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mmmmmm...Fresh Bread!


Who doesn't love the smell of fresh bread right out of the oven? Or in my house out of the bread machine.
A couple of months ago I decided I was going to dust of the Bread Machine my in-laws gave me and start using it again. The price of bread these days is unbelievable, especially if you want wholesome and not full of preservatives and high fructose corn syrup. I searched the Internet, my new favorite cookbook, for a recipe and found a great one on allrecipes.com. If you have not been to that web site check it out. Lots of great numbers on there. I changed a few things or shall I say "tweaked" it to my liking and came out with great bread. I bought all natural ingredients, not necessarily organic but natural and figured I probably am spending $.90 a loaf. Here is the recipe, try it and you just might surprise yourself.
HONEY WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
1 C WATER (WARM)
1/4 C CANOLA OIL
3 1/2 TABLESPOON HONEY
2 C BREAD FLOUR
1 C WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
1 (.25ounce) PACKAGE ACTIVE DRIVE YEAST
DIRECTIONS: In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. I prefer 2 lbs and light crust. Bake according to machine directions. (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing: 1 to 2 tbsp of water or flour if needed.)
These are items we all have in our house, why are we buying mixes? Think about it, we buy premade pancake mix, baking mixes, etc. Why not try doing it on your own. The taste is better by far. The savings in the wallet is huge. You just might surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment