Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

cheesy grits and meatballs

I have been back in the kitchen these days.  I did really well for about 15 months with the menu planning and then when tee ball started it kind of fell apart.  I could find every reason not to cook what was on the menu and either eat out or just eat whatever and we all know what that does to your budget, not to mention the waist line.  This week I got focused and we are back on plan.

Last night I made The Pioneer Woman’s Comfort Meatballs.  The recipe is not on her blog but in her cookbook, “The Pioneer Woman Cooks”.  If you have not added this to your cookbook collection what are you waiting for?  I was able to pick one up off of Amazon for around $12 and I must say worth every penny!

DSCN1106

What do you think of my dish?  Mr. Miller found it for me on a Urban Treasure Hunt to the DAV a few weeks ago, not bad for .50 cents.  It isn’t Pyrex but Maid of Honor, I don’t know much about that line but if anyone does feel free to share.

DSCN1103

We also had Cheesy Grits last night.  PW has a great recipe in her book also but I have a no fail that works for my hungry man.  Super simple and the kids eat it right up.

BAKED CHEESY GRITS

3/4 c. grits
3 c. water
1 c. grated Cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. salt (optional)

Bring water to boil and stir in grits and cook according to package directions. After cooked, pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Mix in the butter, egg and cheese, stirring constantly until thoroughly mixed. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until top is set and lightly puffed. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 4 to 6.

Fix a quick veggie and you have an amazing dinner!

By the way the diet progress is slow but I finally hit 20lbs gone this last week.  I have had ups and downs and I have a long road ahead of me but I know I can do it!

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE those comfort meatballs! They are so good and just the perfect thing when you need something comforting. ;) You're doing great with the diet...you CAN do it!

    ReplyDelete