Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Monday, July 27, 2009

Cooking for Henry

In March the Bunco Hens threw me an amazing Baby Shower. They insisted on giving one after Henry's arrival since Mr. Miller and I don't find out the sex of our babies before they get here. It is such a great surprise that way, plus we know it drives the Grandparents crazy! Sorry guys, but we do love you! The shower was at Traci's new house, which is adorable. They came up with some really creative and thoughtful gifts. One of which is the book "Cooking for Baby", Gretchen found it a Williams Sonoma. www.williams-sonoma.com I love that store, it is my happy place. I can spend hours in there looking. OK so where was I? This book is full of great ideas and recipes for making your own baby food. My friend Lori got me thinking about making my own when she shared at the shower that she had been making food for her little guy Miles. She gave some great tips and pointers. I tried making the potatoes first, I used an organic Red Potato from my Fresh Connect KC delivery.






I cut the potato up first and steamed it for 7 minutes in my micro steamer. I then peeled it. I would probably peel before steaming next time. I found out the true meaning of the game "Hot Potato". I reserved the water for my thinning agent also because the water is full of the nutrients from steaming your vegetable.



I next put them in the faithful Food Processor, again another fine household appliance from the Deacon and Pops. Do they know what their daughter in law likes or what? I used my reserve liquid until I got my desired consistency.






I then used a funnel and poured them into cleaned baby food jars that I had already used. They were going to recycle anyways so why not recycle them in my own house for our use?


I was able to get 5 jars from 1 potato. What a savings when you usually spend .45 to .65 cents a jar at the store.



Label and date, freeze for up to 8 weeks.










2 comments:

  1. Yum! I need to get that for baby collin.

    You know, I grew up in Greenacres, Wa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. My husband often refers to me as Lisa!

    ReplyDelete