Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dinner Salad

Tonight with dinner we had a dinner salad made with our first lettuce harvest for the season! It was so exciting. I was able to go out to my backyard and pick what I needed, rinse it and put it with the other amazing vegetables that were delivered right to my door today. Did I say delivered? Yes!

We have discovered a local delivery service right here in Kansas City called Fresh Connect. It is owned and operated by Kevin and Brookie-Lee Glaser. They also have Happybottomus, you know my favorite natural parenting store. Fresh Connect prides themselves on Local Natural Grocery Delivery. We signed up on www.freshconnectkc.com. Take a look, it is very informative. We ordered the small fruit/veggie combo box for $25. Here is a list of what we got:

1 lb Potatoes
1 lb Onions
3 Braeburn Apples
4 ears of Corn
2 lbs Carrots
2 Zucchini
1 Cucumber
1 Mango
1 Grapefruit
2 Oranges
2 Purple Bell Peppers
1/2 lb Kiwi
1 lb Tomatoes
They use local Farmers and Organic Produce. You can customize and get larger quantities. We plan on a bi-weekly delivery and once my garden really starts producing, I will switch to fruit. You can also get non-perishables, meat and baked goods. We plan on trying the meat delivery here before too long. I understand I can get bison, don't knock it until you try it. It is much leaner than beef and tastes better in our opinion. Please check it out and give it a try. There is no delivery fee or sign up fee.
I used a Purple Bell Pepper that was one of the sweetest peppers I had ever had plus one of the tomatoes. I just love homegrown tomatoes. You can't beat the taste. I added raisins and used a Sweet French Dressing. It was an amazing salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment