Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Recipe Day - Chicken Enchilada Casserole

I have decided that on Wednesdays I am going to be posting some of our favorite recipes here at Green Acres. I love to cook, if you have been following me on this blog you have figured that out. The other problem is that I don't cook in small amounts, Mr. Miller doesn't mind because he ends up with a really great meal usually in his cooler for lunch.


I love to slow cook a chicken and then de-bone it and use the meat for several recipes during the week. This is a very cost effective way to plan your menus for the week. Are you doing that? Why not? I have a dry erase board on the fridge and we plan the menu for the week and I make my shopping list for only what we need. I then go to Aldi or Wal-Mart and Whole Foods for certain GF items I am needing. If you are not shopping Aldi or Wal-Mart you should, you can save a lot of money that way. Did you know that Wal-Mart will price match their competitors adds? OK so off the soap box and back to my chicken. I have been accused of rambling in my day! I usually buy a 2-3LB whole fryer, rinse and remove the inside presents they tuck in bird, ie: neck, heart and liver. I throw away but if you want to use for something else by all means it is your bird. Place in Crock Pot with desired seasonings. Usually for me it is Poultry Seasoning, Fresh Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper. Pour 2 Cups of Water in pot and put on low for 6 hours. Don't forget 2 bay leaves that make the smell even better.


This week I did it a little different. I cut up some Cilantro, 1 Jalapeno Pepper, 3 cloves Garlic, 1 small zucchini and southwest Seasoning because I knew that we were doing some Mexican Recipes. My favorite kind!

Doesn't he look beautiful?

After he is done cooking, I remove him from the pot and let him cool for about 30 min and then I start "pickin' me some chicken"! I can pick a chicken almost clean, my mama didn't raise no fool! I will divide the meat into 3 containers and put in fridge until needed that week for said recipe or even freeze for a later date. This chicken cost me $3.99 and I used him for 3 recipes, not bad!

CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE

Cast of Characters:

2 cups diced chicken, cooked

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

10 corn tortillas, prefer GF but if they are 100% corn I seem to do ok

1 can enchilada sauce

2 small cans tomato sauce

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

2 cups fresh leaf spinach

I preheat the oven to 350 and spray 9x13 with non stick cooking spray. In one bowl I mix Enchilada Sauce and Tomato Sauce. I start by soaking tortillas in that mixture 2 at a time. Lay 5 of the tortillas along bottom of baking dish. It is OK to overlap. Next I pour my chicken evenly topped by the beans and then the spinach. I then pour 1/2 of cheese over top. Top with the remaining soaked 5 tortillas, cover with foil and bake for 55 min. Remove foil and cover with remaining cheese, bake uncovered for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven, let set for 15 min and serve. I top with sour cream. Yum! Depending on piece size it will serve 12-16.

This is an easy recipe that the whole family enjoys. It makes great leftovers for the rest of the week!

I would love to hear comments on how you like the recipes and let me know if you are looking for any certain ideas that you would like me to post recipes for.

1 comment:

  1. That looks SO delicious. I have actually wanting to try something similar, so I think that I will have to give your recipe a go when my husband is home next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete