Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

It has been mighty cold since we have come home this week. Last night was the perfect soup night. I made Broccoli and Cheese soup. I found a recipe in my "Make It Fast, Cook It Slow" book by Stephanie O'Dea, and with a little tweaking it came out perfect for my family. Stephanie has a great blog, www.crockpot364.blogspot.com, check it out. She has a lot of Gluten Free too!

This truly has to be one of the best Broccoli soups I have ever had. Cameron and Junior Mint could not get enough and Mr. Miller was loving it. I need to figure points still and I am sure they are not great but it was worth every bite.



broccoli and cheese soup

1/2 white onion, diced

2 C milk, I used organic skim

1 quart chicken broth

black pepper to taste

1/2 tsp salt

2 (10 oz) bags of frozen broccoli florets

1 C each of 3 different shredded cheeses ~ I used vermont white cheddar, sharp cheddar and velveeta

Use a 6 quart slow cooker. Place the diced onion, small pieces are best, in bottom of pot. Pour milk and broth in next, they will soften the onion, add seasoning. Stir in the broccoli. Cook on low for 7-9 hours or high for 4 -6 hours. The broth will be done when onions are soft and translucent. Stir in the cheese about 20 minutes before serving. The cheese will be stringy and stick to the broccoli. Some people might opt for blending the soup for a more consistent looking soup. However we were fine eating it just as it was. Serve with biscuits or crackers and we had a spinach salad. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good -- and good for you. I could use a bowl of warm soup right about now as this Arctic chill is making my bones cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this looks so good. I think that I know we are eating for lunch on playoff Sunday!

    ReplyDelete