Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Friday, January 15, 2010

Cozy and Comforting

On a day like today I was needing something cozy and very comforting. It is in the low 30's, foggy and just plain dreary out. I decided to make some granola. I have never made this before and it is one of my favorite go to comfort foods. I love to put some in a bowl and add yogurt and spoonful of creamy peanut butter and it is a great meal that keeps you going. I lived on this post delivery with Junior Mint. I had to have a high protein diet to promote healing from my "belly birth fiasco", aka my c-section incision opened 8 days post op. You can say it, ooh! That is another story in itself. Back to the granola, I found this recipe in one of my many cook books and I thought I would give it a try. Wow, lets just say I will never pay $5.99 at the store for their Granola again.

granola
  1. 3 1/2 c oats, either quick or old fashioned
  2. 1/2 c honey
  3. 1/3 coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
  4. 1/4 butter (1/2 stick)
  5. 1 tsp vanilla
  6. 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  7. pinch of salt (optional)
  8. dried fruit of your choice, about 1 1/3 c

Heat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except dried fruit; mix well. Isn't my bowl lovely? Mr. Miller gave it to me along with 3 nesting bowls for Christmas. I just love vintage Pyrex and somehow I have become attached to this pattern, its the Early American.

Next spread the mixture evenly in a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool completely and add your dried fruit. I didn't put fruit in this time but I will as needed. I am storing it in one of my beloved vintage canning jars.
I know what I am having for breakfast tomorrow!


6 comments:

  1. I have granola every morning for breakfast with Stonyfield vanilla yogurt. I really should make some homemade granola to make my mornings even better. And I (heart) Pyrex too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say yum to homemade granola...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo, I love homemade granola. that looks so yummy. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homemade granola! Thanks for sharing the recipe. It is a hearty, cozy thing to have for breakfast. And the story about your incision does not sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good recipe and - YES - I love the bowl! I adore all vintage kitchen items. Lovely blog you have here, so glad I stopped by!

    ReplyDelete