Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Okra and Tomatoes

As I was picking the last of my harvest from the garden last night, mainly okra, few carrots and tomatoes, I reflected over some of the recipes that I used from the garden this Summer. Mr. Miller LOVES Okra! I found a Paula Deen recipe for "The Lady and Sons Okra and Tomatoes" and I gave it a shot, of course with a few modifications made by me. This was a great dinner and you can make it year round by using diced tomatoes and frozen okra, but it is so much better when fresh out of the garden. I served it over a Parmesan Risotto.

Okra and Tomatoes
4 slices bacon ( I use Turkey Bacon), diced into small pieces
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 Cup Chicken broth
1 tbsp sugar
2 Cups fresh okra, cut into 1 inch pieces
Pepper to taste
Cook bacon slightly. Saute onion and garlic with bacon until tender. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar and pepper. Stir well and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning to your liking. While that is simmering wash okra and remove fuzz, I just use a damp cloth and gently rub the okra, and cut into pieces. Add the okra and simmer until okra is tender, about 20 minutes.
Serve over rice, noodles or whatever you have on hand.
Look at those fresh tomatoes, that evening I used big boys and grape tomatoes.


The star of the meal.



Letting the onion, bacon and garlic get to know each other.

The tomatoes joined in the fun.



Now the okra came to play.


Voila, goodness in a bowl = very happy Mr. Miller!



Doesn't this look amazing?






1 comment:

  1. I think I would really like that a lot...the rest of my family...they are a bit pickier than your average bear. I'll have to round up some friends to share! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete