Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Chicken Ideas

We have started to utilize the grill again. I am always so excited when Spring peeks through the clouds and we can start grilling and I have finally figured out how to light this one. Mr. Miller and I got this for our anniversary 4 years ago and it has always scared me to light it. I know, I hear you laughing at me. Last week I had to call him at work just so he could walk me through it.

Well I have been wanting chicken and I have come up with 2 marinades in the last week that are fabulous. This chicken turned out so tender.

Bourbon Chicken
1 c bourbon
1 c brown sugar
1 c olive oil
1 c prepared mustard
1 c Worcestershire sauce
Mix ingredients in a large container. Rinse Chicken and poke holes with fork, place in marinade. Make sure chicken is covered. Place in fridge for 6 hours. Remove and grill for a wonderful dinner. I served this with a Cabbage and Cucumber slaw. Very tasty.
Java Chicken
1 c coffee, prepared
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c cider vinegar
1/4 c chopped onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp black pepper
I followed the same instructions as above. This does not taste like coffee. The coffee is acidic so it acts as a great tenderizer. This ends up with a maple sweet taste and is perfect with a baked sweet potato.
Have fun and get out and enjoy that grill. I look at it as one less dish to clean when we cook outside.

4 comments:

  1. These both sound absolutely amazing. Chicken is best on the grill. I'm going to have to get my husband to fire up ours (I get scared lighting it). Thanks for sharing these recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that java chicken sounds like a great recipe. It's still a bit cold to fire up our outdoor grill here, but I'll have to bookmark this for next time! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we got a new grill this winter (just in time for the blizzards to hit) and we're waiting to heat it up for the first time. thanks for the marinade recipe! they sound great. I'd have never thought to marinate with coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The java chicken sounds intriguing. Anxious to try it.
    My hubby loves to grill and this winter he got so desperate one time that he shoveled a path to the grill!

    ReplyDelete