Green Acres in the City ~ Join us a begin the journey in search for a simpler life...

Welcome to our life

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sandwich Bread


I have been on a quest for a decent GF Sandwich Bread. I love my bread machine but lately I have had the yearning to make bread in the oven. Let it rise on top of the stove under a tea towel just like the memories I have from my childhood. My mom baked bread for us growing up. This was back in the days when I was eating wheat. She would need and need, then put the dough in the pans under her white embroidered tea towel and let it rise. OH just the smell of the yeast working was heavenly, and how I wish I had my hands on those tea towels.
Now that I cannot have gluten I have tried many recipes to find that sandwich bread that works for me. I have adapted some, had a few failures but here is a combination of 2 that I found worked quite nicely.
Gluten Free Sandwich Bread
3 c Gluten Free Flour Mix ~ I have tried it with the GF Pantry All Purpose and not a big hit, I found the I used equal parts Brown Rice, Sorghum and Namaste Flour Mix to work for us.
1 tsp Xanthan gum
1 tsp Sea Salt
3 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 c lukewarm water
1 package Regular Yeast
2 tbsp melted butter~ we used the Earths Balance
2 whole Egg Whites
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Heat oven to 350. Butter bottom of loaf pan. Mix first 3 ingredients in large bowl and set aside. Mix next 3 in a separate bowl, set aside. Mix final 3 in small bowl. Add the wet ingredients into the dry in the large bowl. Mix well with rubber spatula. Transfer dough to bread pan. Set on top of stove, place tea towel over top and step away for 30 minutes, go read, hug on your kids or just enjoy the thoughts of what is about to come.
When dough is done rising, transfer into pre heated oven and bake for 40 -50 minutes. Gluten Free bread does not rise or bake like regular bread. It may look flat or sunken in that is OK! Depending on flour mix it may not get as golden. Remove pan to cooling rack for 10 minutes and then remove bread from pan. Cool slightly, slice and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing like homemade bread....The smell, the flavor of a warm slice. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recipe, Meaghan. I will definetely try this out. I'm always trying out new GF recipes for our daughter. I haven't made bread yet, but it would be worth a try.

    My recipe for GF flour blend is 2 cups brown rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch (I've also sub this for corn starch and it's okay too), 1/3 cup tapioca flour, 1 tsp xanthan gum. I make large batches of this for the pantry and use to make pancakes, waffles and cookies when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this wonderful recipe, it looks so yummy

    ReplyDelete